Sunday, July 16, 2006

Alone In The Crowd

I'm guessing I'm going to be the junior contributor here, since I rarely find myself out and about in public with my camera handy. Having just returned from my beach vacation, I have a couple of shots of individuals, but I've already posted most of those I considered worthwhile to my own blog (if I get desperate I may double dip and they'll end up here also). I also managed to get some crowd shots.



This may already be violating the spirit of this blog, but considering the title is "Strangers Among Us", I thought this was fairly appropriate. I say this because when you're at the beach, you're surrounded by people, most of whom you have no idea who they are. The only thing you definitely have in common is that you're there to enjoy the ocean and possibly get away from other aspects of reality. But you're not concerned with who else is there, nor do you really care. Almost all the groups of people have their own agendas and plans. And for the most part, no one interacts except maybe upon initially showing up for the purpose of staking a claim to a piece of real estate on the beach. In a very real sense there are vast numbers of entire microcosms operating in harmony, yet completely independent from each other. This obviously occurs in real life all the time such as at the grocery store, sporting events, and especially restaurants. The thing is, in those situations, you may not be as readily aware of it. It raises an interesting question on the dual nature of humanity. Human nature seeks out company, but not too much company. It may be that no man is an island, but it also appears that most men are not continents either.

2 Comments:

Blogger BullBunky said...

Mr. Martyr...YOU take more people pictures than anyone I know.

Monday, July 17, 2006 11:25:00 AM  
Blogger JamesF said...

Not of strangers though. Let's look at your most recent entry versus the last 50 of mine and see who wins.

Monday, July 17, 2006 12:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home